On: Your Favorite Art(ist) Is Not Above Critique

3:08 PM


 

Sometimes I wonder about the consequence of standom. Not frequently, as I tend to disengage with the more rabid sectors of fandom which make up the central trait of standom, but how do we reconcile critique of our faves with the current social climate. I can't help but look upon the never ending stan wars (as fueled and engaged with by ardent fans and casual purveyors, alike) that seem to occur both online and in the real world, and but wonder just what expectations that dedicated loyalty has bred. But I'm not here to talk about the layers of standom, no I'm here to tell you that:

In spite of your standom, your favorite art(ist) is not above critique.

I think my biggest annoyance of standom as it intersects and interacts with contemporary social progression is my growing feeling that there is no "right" way to critique. People have allowed themselves to be clouded by buzzword terminologies which, in theory, isn't necessarily a bad thing - I can't knock people for evolving their knowledge - but in usage it is absolutely awful. The reason I tend to disengage with the more rabid side of standom is because I cherish my own identity more than one that has been projected onto any other being or object. I feel as though most people pour themselves into the person or thing they are stanning, so while you maintain an ambivalent relationship, they fall deeper and deeper into their engagement with said thing. From there develops a protective entitlement to that person or thing, a relationship somewhat built on smoke and mirrors.

Again, I don’t wish to appear as though I am ‘slamming’ these relationships or engagements - in theory it's not necessarily a bad thing - passion is not a bad thing.

However in fulfillment, it can really go awry.

(Lest we forget about inc*ls and the dark side of chatrooms)

After subjecting myself to his recent special, I can to realize that as much as Dave Chappelle complains of and accuses contemporary society of being “so sensitive” for opposing his "jokes", so can be said of the the other side being defensive of basic critique. And that's fine - people are allowed to be sensitive about their shit! I just don't want you feeding me bullshit as to why you are sensitive about said shit or picking and choosing which “sensitivities” are given credence.

Don't force feed me buzzwords, or push y labels upon me if I say x was underwhelming.
Don't try to rationalize why I dislike any art(ist) as an inherent hatred of insert marginalized group here.
Don't Tumblr Sociology 101/“Street Logic” 201 me if I criticize or just flat out not engage with your favorite art(ist).
Don't pathologize simple interactions in the hopes of making Something out of Nothing.
Don't size-10-font essay me to death in a roundabout way of, essentially, pestering me to be on your side.

Just stop!

I am allowed to just not care for what you care for - leave me be!

I've noticed the rise in this weird refusal to admit that sometimes, to quote Beyoncé, people are sensitive about their shit.

I think some stans feel as though cowering to that truth will not serve enough justification behind their righteous indignation when you don't err on the side of support for their favorite art(ist).

And I get it - guilt is an easier tactic to weaponize and motivate people to flow your way.

But it's not right.

And, for me, it will not work.

Because we've all got our own shit going on, all of us can open a can of guilt trips to force people to be on the side of our favorite art(ist). All of us can weaponize aspects of our identity in a plea for sympathy.

However, that still doesn't guarantee others will fall in line with you!

And, as I come to close this rambling, I would like to clarify, this is not a justification for bigotry or hatred - that is never tolerated.

This is simply a mildly incoherent rant against people falling upon weaponizing buzzwords as a crutch to “protect” their favorite art(ist).

I promise, you’ll be okay. Life will continue along in spite of the critique.

Do not waste your energy forcing me to believe just why your favorite art(ist) is above critique, it’s untrue.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Blog Archive