On: Content Creation

10:00 PM

Gifs via greek-arete

After spending the better part of my day crying over the trailer for A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, burying myself into a YouTube hole of various Mr. Rogers interviews and just generally feeling old, I came to the conclusion that creating great content is...actually not that hard.

To clarify, I'm not talking about the formulaic, tentpole content we have grown accustomed to, I mean content that comes from the heart.

I don't think many who were alive to witness Mr. Rogers' love for content creation often realize this, but we were so, so lucky to witness the manifestation of his love and care for children's education via media in real time.

I find a lot of contemporary popular entertainment media programming to be emotionally bankrupt. If it is not lazy and terrible writing, it's lazy and terrible acting, or lazy and terrible casting, or simply just lazy and terrible altogether.

This is not at all the fault of actors or writers - at the behest of someone else these jobs must and will be done. No, I find some entertainment media is trapped on a rollercoaster of creative bankruptcy and, as a consumer, I find myself experiencing and consuming productions about the epic highs and lows of epic nothingness. Stuck reading, hearing and witnessing roundabout critiques which hesitate to admit that we are trapped in a Big Hollywood entertainment nightmare bubble that is symptomatic of capitalism.

I grew up planted in front of the television during a time where children's programming (and the adult programming I shouldn't have been watching) was a mixed bag. Of course, there was - and will always be - mind-numbingly inane productions that served of little to no utility to my intelligence, but I also had access to productions made with love and care.

Productions meant to nourish my growth and teach me value.

There was a purpose behind a story, a meaning behind every detail was a valuable lesson to be learned.

There was something that stirred my young, impressionable soul, an intention which remains with me each time I lay my head to rest.

I think I get emotional about Mr. Rogers because there is truly no one doing it like him, anymore.

At least so say I - a 1994-borne byproduct of PBS and 90s-2000s Disney Channel who is only indirectly and mildly aware of Gen Z-targeted entertainment media with thanks to a younger sister born in 2002.

Now, before you think of me as a crazy cat lady who is in no way impacted by this media, yeah, you're right - I am overthinking what is likely a temporary lull in creativity.

But it doesn't make these productions any less insulting.

Shocking fact: Any content you funnel to the masses - whether good or bad - actually matters.

So, in spite of what baby boomers think, a reminder:

Kids are not dumb, treating their content as though they are, is despicable.

Okay, yeah, kids are dumb in the general 'growing pains' way, but not in this way!

When you love something, I mean really LOVE something, you handle it with the utmost care. If you do choose to share it, likely it is done with the intent to spread that love, to maybe awaken a passion within someone who may benefit from it. Not for money or for praise, but to spread joy.

Because something that brings you unadulterated happiness may also do the same for someone else.

And because you should love the audience you create for.

I think there are far too many content creators who are making out of greed and not love.

Entire empty, corruptive, capitalism-motivated entertainment media that teaches children nothing and gives them little benefit of intellect.

Though we are at a pit of that rollercoaster, I think production teams became lazy and sold themselves on the idea that young, impressionable children are far too stupid to see through their lack of care as it applies to content creation. I think production teams have become more satisfied with what is seen, rather than what may be taught.

And, I'm not going to lie, I've fallen for it!

I've allowed myself to be taken for a dolt - sold on lazy, mass produced images rather than carefully curated, love-filled products.

Banking on empty #DiversityCastings, #RepresentationMatters, THIS IS WHY THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!-speeches/essays and Big Named Attached rhetoric.

It's tired, it's lazy and it's insulting.

Please do, and want, better.

On behalf of me and Mr. Rogers.

God, I miss Mr. Rogers.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Blog Archive