On: The Great American Scheme

12:19 PM


Gif via realitytvgifs

The American Dream and it's limited release is really starting to piss me off.

To start, I would like to say I have always been annoyed with the story of the person who finds success late in life.

With thanks to mainstream society's newest model of popular culture, I have been witness to far too many stories of, "I was at this for (insert time frame exceeding 10 years) when someone finally took a chance on me."

Not only is it frustratingly pervasive, it also has surreptitiously cemented itself as a blueprint by which a lot of minorities people base their ideal of the Hollywood ending.

It may be due to my millennial-ingrained sense of entitlement, but must I wait until I'm 38 before the ball falls into my court?

*stomps feet* *pouts in frustration*

Look, I understand that saying, great things come to those who wait (and hustle hard, shout out Ace Hood), but my God, just how long will the wait be?



And why, oh why, is it starting to feel like nobody wants to take a chance and bet on the legitimate people every once in a while?

Why is it expected of me to be exceptional, while others get a free pass cruising on mediocrity?

Why do the best things go to those who take?

*jumps back into reality*

To be completely honest, my chagrin and this ensuing rant is based in the envy of those who benefit from nepotism.

It is a complete slap in the face to watch people who were borne and bred into access and privilege sweep into your field and lethargically inherit a seat at the top without doing so much as lifting a finger.

The slap stings even worse if you, the benefactor of nepotism, take all that is practically laid out in front of you on a silver platter, and completely waste it; or put zero effort into assuring folks you got to where you were through merit and an outstanding work ethic.

Meanwhile, there I lay - fingers bloodied, sweaty and all cried out - left behind waiting in the dust, slack-jawed at the sheer inanity of this reality.

It is there, left behind in the dark corners, that I spend a majority of time nursing a broken ego, recalling the countless ways I've been told and shown that I must work twice as hard to only be given half as much.

Yeah, no.

I'm tired of being told to be contented with busting my ass and getting half, and I'm tired of expecting my crescendo to come when I'm 45 and the dregs of my work are only just being seen as relevant.

I'm also tired of being told money doesn't buy happiness, like it hasn't completely bought out Western politics and interests that has such impacted my emotional state since I've been alive.

It's not fair.

But who ever thought the American Dream was all about fairness and equality?

Time to start taking.

(I guess - please, I don't know, this Wealthy White Male way of thinking is all very new)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Blog Archive