On: Being Alone

12:54 PM


I have never had a problem holding a conversation with somebody - when required.

I will engage in small talk because I'm not a rude person and I tend to put the needs of others over my own, but there is nothing wrong with the comfortable silence of a head nod.

Why are people so afraid of silence?

Of just being comfortably alone?

There is nothing I love more than the time I spend alone - keeping to myself, minding my business and freely going about my day.

I see no utility in forcing temporary friendships or faking alliances because I think it's mean, and I do not consider myself to be a mean person.

Why would I ever push myself into friendships or even be overly friendly with someone I do not like when I can just be comfortably solitary?

At this age of 23, where do I stand to benefit?

As an observant person and avid people watcher, I truly find joy in using my time alone to read the behaviors and movements of the people around me. It is then that you learn the most about a person - in their quiet moments - which is actually quite eerie when you remember that a majority of everyone's (myself included) outward personality is based in performance and fulfillment of perceptions. For example, I've found that most body-conscious people walk with their bodies slightly folded inwards. If not, they are in some way constantly moving to cover the feature or limb they dislike. I've also learned that most liars have very distinct,'tells'. An off-rhythm blink, a hair flip, a head scratch - little things that have become instinctual to them, but are so vividly perceptible to the discerning eye.

Where was I again? Oh, yeah.

I hold fast to my child-like belief that everyone means well, but in a world where people smiled in my face then proceeded to vote a vile, orange stain of a human into the highest office in government, my thoughts have become a lot more...distrusting of motives, let's say.

As a result, I've become more focused on listening rather than speaking.
(Though I still talk far too much)

I have also begun to find solace within my solitude; I don't feel the need to encumber myself with people or things that do not bring me comfort or happiness.

It's how I've learned to cope - removing myself from situations, and taking the time to regroup.

At one point, I was totally afraid of being left alone with my thoughts because doubts, fears, etc. but I have learned that confronting those thoughts has been really integral to my mental health and individual growth.

I don't think there's anything wrong with surrounding yourself with a group of people, I just think we all need to learn how to be comfortably alone.

And of course, I can say that because I have been blessed with a great support system, but I do maintain there's never any need to force anything.

There is nothing better than simply keeping to oneself.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Blog Archive