On: Dear White People Season 2

2:05 AM


*Dear White People Narrator Voice* From Wakanda to Winchester, the Black peoples have long found themselves yearning for media representation which highlights the multiplicity of their identities.

We must first begin in Menlo Park, West Orange, New Jersey 1897. Thomas Edison and the white men working at his eponymous laboratory steal the design and technology of France's the Lumiere Brothers', cinematograph. As the duo is more famously known in Paris, Edison, seeing the promise of wealth and infamy this invention would bring, become the first to patent this design and rename it Edison's Kinetoscope.  You see, Thomas Edison - falling dutifully in line with the long history of cunning American white men successfully running a long con - would eventually use this as a modus operandi for most all of his...'discoveries'. As for the Lumiere Brothers? Though they continue to break ground in Europe, history has all but ironed them into its creases.

And Edison's Kinetoscope eventually evolves 'his' Kinetograph, grandfather to the camera we knew and use today.

Gif via sseurki

Inevitable stop in history lesson by fourth wall break of potentially all-female student cluster posing for a sorority group picture on an iPhone while Sam and Joelle exchange perfectly timed snarky responses to the inanity of the situation. One of them, most likely Joelle, will begin a spiel on the fact that Thomas Edison was A SCAMMER! A LIAR! A MESSY BITCH WHO LIVED FOR DRAMA! This will inevitable devolve into a conversation about the whitewashing and dampening of history by the American public education system, plagiarism, creative theft and other conversations that kind of, sort of sound like exchanges on Gilmore Girls coming out of Black people's mouths because:

*Sam White voice takes over*

Dear White People.

I completed Season 2 of Netflix's Dear White People with more excitement for its coming seasons than felt when I had first began it. Now, I'm not going to toot my horn (I am absolutely going to toot my own horn), but I'm about 45 percent sure someone who writes for that show read my first post analyzing what I considered to be the peaks and pits of Season 1.

Just about 35 percent sure of this.

A healthy 25 percent.

So rather than go on an endless gripe tour about just what I disliked this season (which, to be fair, was not much), to take a familiar route I will follow in the same vein of how I analyzed Season 2 of Stranger Things: With character breakdowns and individual plot analyses!

So strap on your kinky boots, ladies, fellas and my otherkin, we're going on a long and wild ride!

Samantha "Sam" White


Gifs via tarathorntcns

I have accepted that I will, more than likely, never like this character. No matter how much I love Logan Browning as an actress, no matter how many moments she shows some semblance of humanity which, if only for a moment does not grate on my nerves like cheese, I just think Sam White is The Worst™.

Speaking of Logan Browning, I am starting to recognize that she somewhat favors Tisha Campbell-Martin in looks as well as dramatic acting style, it's actually kind of freaking me out.

Frankly, I find her character to be irredeemably selfish and obnoxiously over the top. In the original film, Gabe calls her a tragic mulatto, and despite my own feelings of trepidation and hesitation to jump aboard that same boat - I have begun to realize that I hate this character because, yes, Sam White is a Tragic Mulatto.

Much like Season 1, the constant shoehorning and centering of her needs and her pain makes it really hard to empathize with this character. And yes, I understand she will take priority as she is the protagonist of this story, but the aforementioned irritating behaviors paired with near constant performances of, "WOEEEE IS MEEE!!!!", Blanche from "A Streetcar Named Desire"-level histrionics, I simply cannot take it. I find Sam White to be SO annoying.

Though yes, she deals with heavy responsibilities and traumas during this season - I am fully taking that into account as I write this - I found myself zoning out during her For Colored Girls-style monologues.

Perhaps I'm just irreparably cold-hearted, but heavy is the head that wears the crown they CHOSE to adorn. You cannot assume individual responsibility and ownership of Winchester's sociopolitical restructuring movement and then proceed to ceaselessly complain about that burden.

You also cannot present yourself as the invulnerable, solitary soldier who requires no assistance whilst undertaking your role, and then pull out the tears when people actually believe the act.

That is just simply not how it works. 

So, sorry, being witness to her constantly bemoaning about her victimhood like it's a freaking personality trait is nothing short of aggravating. Truthfully, I cannot tell if Sam is invested in extending or burning the olive branch.

Were I to quickly run through the archives of fictional and nonfictional characters which have crossed my line of vision and hence became worthy of my engagement and/or celebration, the only ones who projected this air of 'One Man Army' were often villains. And where I admired them, Sam White's villainy is kind of like Nice Guy Syndrome on steroids.

And Sam White is not meant to be the villain! She's meant to be a victim to the poisonous institution that is white supremacy!

She's not in this alone, and yet the way she has been framed, you would SW*AR nobody else on Winchester's campus has ever been the target of racism.


Image result for dear white people gif

Or maybe because she's biracial she's meant to be an antihero? Did I just unlock 50 percent of my brain?

She is a narcissist and a masochist, and it is not fun to watch.

Here is prime example which nearly drove me insane: All of her interactions/responses to @AltIvyW and the fact she even engaged in some form of discourse with that account.

It's never just about the fight with Sam, it's always about being right. About proving yourself and your humanity to people who will never care.

But (spoiler alert) here are the facts: The same way trolling and racism bolstered Silvio's profile, so too did the intellectual discourse and rapid retorts do for Sam. Engagement fed both beasts in the exact same way.

Where it gave Silvio the platform he so desperately craved, it provided Sam with yet another opportunity to play the intellectual, martyred freedom fighter.

It's tired, and I'm tired. Also, maybe because I'm fake old but, the mute/block combo on Twitter is a true Godsend. 

Dear Sam White, why don't you use it.

As an aside: Don't believe me about how Sam White benefits from a constantly volatile campus? Just ask Rikki Carter and Carson Rhodes, an (ironically) near parallel to Sam and Silvio.

Petty corner: I'm also annoyed that she was chosen to be part of that cool ass Winchester's Secret Society of Cool Ass Negroes, but what can you do.

Joelle Brooks
Gifs via onehellofascene

*Beyoncé voice* "SHINING, SHINING, SHINING, SHINING, YEEEAAAHHHH!!! ALL OF THIS WINNING!!!!"

Hey fave! I missed you! With that even ass skin and them waist-length box braids!

Joelle, my belle...shall I compare thee to a summer's day?

No offense, but if we're going to do milennial activist characters, this is how you achieve perfect characterization.

One: The activist is a darkskinned woman (or, an individual whose identity lies closest to experiencing the full trauma of marginalization - as it applies within various other identities).

Sorry not too sorry, but something about making lightskinned girls/lightskinned biracial girls the face of black social justice movements has always made me uncomfortable. Not discounting the true fact they too experience marginalization and discrimination, however, personally I prefer my social justice platforms to be helmed by people whose disruption is not considered 'safe'. I like my movements led by those whose presence requires legitimate confrontation with what is 'outside the straight, white-male approved' norm. Although it is necessary that those who occupy certain spaces of privilege utilize and wield that privilege, it should be to provide platforms and assistance to those who would, otherwise, be incapable of getting one foot in the door.

I just feel...conflicted whenever this is not the case, and often experience niggling feelings in the back of my conscious rousing questions of legitimacy whenever messages of and/or spaces promoting change are dominantly occupied by those considered palatable. Yes, this is absolutely through no fault of their own, it is the fault of a fractured society so heaped in complexes, however if we're talking about shaking tables, I want to actually shake the table.


Gifs via supagirl

*Coughs* The tea was served early Season one.

Two: The activists victimhood is a mere response to the impact of white supremacist societal institutions and ideals, and not internalized, birthed and spoon fed trauma so as to become a personality trait.

God, I love her character so much.

The Black National Anthem, the perfect balance between "the badonkadonk and the bathinkathink", each interaction with Gabe (I died at the 'fried chicken' comment' when they were in the library) - she is me, my Sister in television.

Well...streamed entertainment.

 
 
Gifs via monsefinnie

I'm glad Joelle's voice was finally added to the freedom fight for Black students on Winchester's campus (thank you for listening to me and 3,000,000 other black girls, Mr. Simien). We got to know more about my fave and, as foreseen, she both lived up to and exceeded my expectations.

I thoroughly enjoy Joelle and her frankness. I'm glad she's not a caricature, and I'm glad she just gets to be great.

Not "Oh, I'm great because of X, Y, Z", token shit - she just gets to be.

I'm also happy we've dipped a toe into the colorism pond! It's about time we kept it a stack about romantic relationships and its effect on not just her, but other darksinned women who exist within close proximity to Sam White. 

Though the series has only merely scratched the surface of colorism (because honesly, f*ck the romantic/beauty aspects, the OVERARCHING institutional aspects are...let's just say colorism is really the ugliest b*ch in the room), I'm glad we - very quickly - opened and closed the chapter about the reality of dark girls being left behind, kicked aside and/or torn apart in favor of uplifting light to white girls.

Unlike a lot of the more popular narratives, much like Queen Toni Childs, Joelle isn't presented as being bitter about colorism, nor does it really appear to severely hurt or impact her outside of a brief lapse in memory of being *Trina voice* the baddest bitch.

Meaning it's a reality she's accepted, and it neither stops nor breaks her down. She KNOWS she's the shit regardless of the bullshit, period. An ill society will simply have to deal with it.

Many shows, if delving into analyzing colorism, should make a big, fat note of this. 

*cough, cough, Atlanta, cough, cough, Grownish, hacks up a lung*

I'm glad we kept it really real, confronting bias and the impact is has within the Black community is a very important conversation and I'm glad it forced introspection unto a new viewer - even if for a brief moment.

I love Joelle, and I hope she continues to shine and never dim her shine.

Now, I'm going to end this by briefly stepping into my petty:

I don't like Reggie. I also don't like the, "I DidN't rEalIze mY DreAM gIrL wAs StaNDiNg RiGht iN fROnT oF mE!" moment which came after he had completed his Solange, "I tried to sex it away," cosplay.

I also do not do Sister Wives, or Groups of Friends Who Share Sex Partners.

Let's not forget Mr. Reggie had yucky guilt-trip sex with Joelle's best friend and, otherwise, ignored her during his constant pursuit of said friend.

I mean, sure Joelle was still comfortable engaging in some sort of romantic relationship with him, but, fictional character or not, she is way, way better than me.

So, no, sorry, I don't support their relationship or 'ship' them together.

And yeah, my third eye knew something in the water wasn't clean with Black King, Mr. Second-Best Hotep because things were going Too Nicely™, but again, what can I do. 

She loves Wokely Charmichael. 


*Sighs*
Reginald 'Reggie' Green
(*Sighs*)
Gifs via sseureki

While I am happy to see him take the steps towards overcoming his trauma, I'm going to need the son of a former Black Panther to actually dedicate the time to seeing a therapist.

Specifically a black one who will understand and empathize with his PTSD.

I also want him to stop playing with my girl's heart and be sure to take an STD test.

He and Sam exist within the same plane of annoying for me, but like Beyoncé, I too will attempt to forgive the indiscretions of these rassclat men.


I cannot believe I dislike a fictional character this much.

However, at least I know karma is real in the DWP universe! God had Reggie rooming with the token geeky white boy who couldn't tell Kelsey apart from Coco and Joelle apart from Sam.

Mess.


Troy "Eustace" Fairbanks

I know I'm supposed to love this gratuitous last shot (Yay, feminism! Let's change The Gaze!), but all this did was remind me to take my lazy ass to somebody's gym.

To take from ABC's Black-ish, I call him Eustace as in "Useless."

I'm only kind of kidding, but do you know how distraught I was to realize Troy was kind of a f*ckboy? This was basically me reacting to him for a majority of Season 2:


I see he has found his stride and is beginning to walk in the direction HE wants (as requested), super killed that affair with Legendary Blacktress Nia Long (as requested), did not fight his father (as requested) but found common ground with him (as appreciated through mildly misty eyes), over performed black pain as a way to begin cavity inspections with his penis through a sea of diverse vaginas only to eventually settle on the one white vagina that belonged to Coco's Becky, Muffy (as exasperatingly observed, and kind of requested, damnit) and even unknowingly planted a seed inside Ms. Colandrea Connors (not requested, but mildly predicted)! 

Eustace Troy Fairbanks was quite the busy man this season! And maybe I'm just a useless person, but f*ckboy and all, I still really love Troy. I mean, he TRIED IT with that "AKIKIKI, BLACK GIRLS BE LIKE-!" joke, but my heart! He still has it! And his friendship with the other boys (specifically Lionel) I really do love it!

I love men comfortable in their masculinity, no trying, no overcompensating, just being.

I love Troy's dumb ass, and that is mainly due to the unrepentant soft spot I have for admitted hot messes who are kind of/sort of free falling into who they are and what they want to be.

Yeah, he's a giant whore, but he's MY whore.


A comedian though...honey, I suppose.

Sidebar: I love that he admitted to being problematic while constantly being ensconced in a circle full of social justice, freedom fighter, Black Panther-lite people. Yes it was said in jest, I also recognize that Troy is the true middle ground between Winchester's Militant Blacks and Winchester's Black Republicans. Though I do not believe in straddling the fence when it comes to certain topics, Troy's character is quite easiest to relate to, more human than some of the other characters who, again, often sound like Lorelei and Rory freaking Gilmore spent a day picketing with the SNCC.

Beautiful idiot.

Lionel Higgins 
Gifs via whiteparent

My sweet, awkward, gay prince! Lord knows I love me some Lionel! And can we...can we acknowledge that that lil four-eyed n*gga (#AstigmatismGang we RISE) is hiding a DUMB STACKED body underneath those awful Aeropostale garments? YES KING!!! WHEW! NERDY, BUT MAKE IT SEXY, YOUEAME?!

 
 
 
Gifs via milesdmorales

I really liked how Lionel's arc came full circle this season. Though I personally felt the plot somewhat dragged for the first few episodes (my interest was officially sparked on episode six), I will admit I believed the secret society stuff to be a red herring for something more insidious!

How naive I was.

I should have known we would circle back to that, not only because of the constant hints and mildly annoying flashbacks, but also because this show consistently makes finding and being comfortable in your identity a crucial point.  

Where most people are concerned with putting on airs for the benefit of others, Lionel neither sees nor feels the need to conform - he is comfortably awkward.

He may find navigating the minefield of homosexuality and racism upon a predominantly white collegiate institution a tad tricky, but much like Joelle, he does not let these setbacks stop, hinder or tear him down.

At least not to the point where he assumes victimhood - God, Sam White is SO ANNOYING.

Just ask the niche gays he either pissed off or made uncomfortable with his blunt refusal to mold himself to the same boxes they had locked themselves into.

Lionel's refusal to shape or conform to an identity for the sake of fitting in is a crucial part of personal growth, and grow Lionel did in Season 2.

I look forward to seeing him continue with his journalism aspirations and sparring with the girl who THINK she me minus a small proclivity to nearly commit sexual assault Brooke.

I also look forward to finding out just what the hell this secret society is! 

PLEASE, I NEED TO KNOW, MY CROPS ARE WITHERING INTO THE POWDER THAT FILLS DERRICK ROSE'S KNEECAPS!

Queen Colandrea "Coco" Connors
*"Who Gon' Stop Me" "Formation" swells in the background*
 
 
Gifs via mystifyinglane

*Clutches pearls*
The Antoinette Maya Childs-Wilkes of the show always manages to shine bright like a(n ethically, sourced, cruelty free) diamond every time she steps into the frame of my screen. 

Bitch, that 36" ponytail with the clipped bang!!!!!!!!! I LIVE!!!!!!

Where Joelle is my best friend in my head, Coco is my best friend's big sister in my head. A darkskinned LEGEND navigating with ease through the idiot playground that is Winchester University with her chin held high and sweaty brow concealed under the finest powder.

So long as she has her way, you will never see Colandrea Connors break a sweat.

What an iconic character.

I love fully-fleshed dominant woman. I love that people are scared of Coco, not for what she is, but for who she is and what they know she will be - she has power and people are scared of it.

That's why those Prancing Petunias let her Becky, Muffy, into their ladies club. Because holding on to racism affirms their presumed superiority when in reality they do not contain the amount of grit, character or fight Coco has in one pinky toenail.

There is nothing standing in Coco's way, and she makes it known every time she enters a scene. She has set goals, and she will achieve them by any means necessary. There is no room for error in Coco's life, which I believe to be unrealistic, but it is her moments spent navigating and figuring out how to respond to error, those brief glimpses at the human under the shell that make her my favorite.

Gifs via aliciaavikander

This was such a cute ass coat! Ugh, my God, she's gorgeous.

I also enjoyed the return of the threesome (thank you for that, as requested), although Coco's music taste needs some work.

How are you on a road trip to a funeral and you wanna play that 'UNTZ, UNTZ, UNTZ' music, sis? Do better!

As was expected, some mild shade was wonderfully tossed around, but the way she, Sam (who does not deserve the friends she has in the grand scheme of things, but within that moment definitely needed them) and Joelle have joined forces makes me so excited for the future of this Unholiest of Holy Trios.

Gifs via supagirl

Did I cry? Yes, of course I did.

And now to step back into my petty:

I...do not want Coco to be with the Pastiche Problem, Kurt Fletcher. It's too...easy? The brash black girl with the brash white guy. They butt heads, and then they bump butts, it's cliche. 

It probably doesn't help I mainly feel this way because Kurt started off as a GIANT DOUCHEBAG, RACIST-ADJACENT DICKHOLE, and then randomly had a mild dampening moment? Like he was weirdly nice this season, I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop but it...never did...

And also because I lowkey...really want Coco and Troy to get back together...

I know, I know, Troy is a wasteman, but!!!!!! They're so dang CUTE!!

And it's all the witers' fault! *Eileen Davidson voice* HOW DARE YOU give me That Scene (ya'll KNOW which one I'm talking about) and then take it all away from me?!

 
 
 
 
Gifs via sseureki

MY HEART STILL HURTS, OKAY!
*Runs away sobbing*

Then you gonna try and show her in bed with Kurt, meanwhile he can't help but to White Man Experiencing His First Encounter Black Girl, by attempting to caress and pat her weave - no Beyoncé. 
It just WASN'T the same. I want that old thing back, please!

And then that flash to the future...again I ask: HOW dare you?!

I can't even, right now.

FINAL THOUGHTS

Mesdames Brooke et Kelsey & Monsieurs Al, Rashid and James...Shante you STAY

Gifs via sseureki

Brooke? We love her.

The delivery of, "FUCK ARE YA'LL TALKING ABOUT!?" Legendary. Were her and Coco ever to interact (hint...hint) I just KNOW that link up would be so legendary a mountain somewhere, somehow shall move.

 
 
Gifs via bellamybalke

Recommendation? Please integrate Kelsey (who dresses sharper than Blair Waldorf) into the New Independent as either an advice or lifestyle columnist. She is SO FUNNY, that foot rubbing scene with the medical latex gloves was GOLD. That she is a Trini AND a lesbian opens doors for so much with her character, I'm excited to see where this goes.

Although...I'm like 55 percent sure she was the other character also attracted to white men in Season 1...maybe I have to rewatch, but I'm not going to lie, her being a lesbian kind of threw me at first.

 
Gifs via ticogirls

Al and Rashid - We keep seeing them in doses, and each time leaves me wanting more. I'm mad Al is a whole conspiracy theorist, and has an entire crew that both looks and dresses like EZ Jackster.



Images via vvhymack

I really love James's dumb Republican ass. And I love his dynamic with Coco and how she constantly reminds him he is unfit and small. The Joan Clayton to her Monica Charles Brooks-Dent.



Gabe, Kurt Fletcher and Wesley...You are Safe.

 
 
Gifs via ticogirls

I am...mildly....attracted to Kurt as a character??? I mean, he absolutely sucks donkey balls, but something about his unfettered arrogance is....*signal drops*

HOWEVER, what is it with white people openly doing drugs? Maybe I'm just a scary goody two-shoes, but my goodness!

I also liked him a lot more as an antagonist. I mean, sure his character must grow and, yes, the show is mainly about combating the institution and not the individual, but let's not forget Troy was a gleeful participant of upholding said institution.

 
Gifs via jamandstuff

This is so annoyingly cute in like a specific Well-meaning White Guy way, and that's why I like Gabe. He's annoying, but he means well and is at least trying to do and be better.

Gabe...needs an episode not focused on his relationship with Sam or his proximity to her and how it has forced introspection unto him and his relationship with the institution that is whiteness. All we know about him is that he's obsessed with Sam (which...okay, masochists bonding), has a pretty steady friendship with Joelle, is a neoliberal and wants to be a filmmaker. What else is there? What am I meant to feel for Gabe? I need more.

Gifs via sayittothemasses

Wesley is just the cutest, sweetest thing! I was really scared he was @AltIvyW, because, for some reason, a lot of writer's rooms do not believe the viewers are deserving of long-term nice things, but I quite like him! 

Even though he does not support monogamy, because of course he doesn't.
He's a man on a college campus, who was really shocked?

I look forward to seeing more with baby David Archuleta.


Silvio, the Hoteps and all the Alt-Stupids...SASHAY! AWAY!


(Yes, even you, Sister Tessa, no Tan Coulter's allowed)

Also...what happened to the Asian girl from Season 1? Did they "Marissa Tomei in A Different World"-her???

AND FIN.

Thank you for reading this never ending post - I hope you enjoyed Season 2 of Dear White People like I did, despite Sam White any issue you may have had with the story.

And even with all of the compliments, I must say my all-time favorite thing about this show is the way in which it is shot (very reminiscent of Wes Anderson, Stanley Kubrick and, of course, Spike Lee).

The texture of the images and the way each shot is framed also tells a story, and those are important details to observe when consuming entertainment.

Unlike my feelings towards the close of Season 1, I am genuinely anxious to see what comes next for the students at Winchester University. I love that this show is not barreling through stories, it has taken the time to find its voice and its strides. Yes, sometimes this may mean sitting through episodes that feel like time is moving slower than an old lady behind the wheel of a Crown Vic, but in the end it is often always worth it.

We are beginning to connect the dots, and link the lines, and I, for one, am looking forward to where the story goes from here.

Now run me my invitation to the secret society!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Blog Archive