On: The Projection Deflection

11:55 PM



Gifs via dolaredola

At the request of myself, being of sound-ish mind and body, I place forth this public service announcement straight from the desk of The Unified League of Black Girls, Global, Inc.:

Stop projecting your insecurities and fears onto other people.

I don't know, maybe its because I'm living in a world where people have transitioned blaming the steady declination of the United States as a global bully dictator imperialist power superpower from 'economic anxiety' to good old fashioned racism, sexism and xenophobia, but transparency appears to be the hot new trend.

And we've always kept it three stacks over here.

As a constant work in progress (I'm basically a breathing Baltimore street, a York Road of sorts) I make active effort to eschew passive aggression, projection and the transference of anything I have internally registered as being 'negative'.

The older I get, the more aware I become of the reality in which I live, and making the choice to embrace positivity on a somewhat daily basis is an active fight; one which I am willing to undertake.

When you take into consideration how easy it is to be mean and down yourself and those around you, you can't help but to want, more than anything, any feeling which may only bring acute joy.

Now, as a heads up I would like to make it clear that I am very blunt and I do not apologize for it. I see no use in masking true feelings in the effort to appease anyone, not even myself. Because there is no, nor will I ever allow there to be a, harsher critic to myself than I.

Who knows you better than you? How to handle you better than you?

Gifs via tmpgifs

And also maybe a therapist or a counselor, but that is an entirely different can of worms.

So when the time comes for introspection and analysis of my strengths and my weaknesses, I do so begrudgingly but without deflection. I believe in facing my problems head on with blunt and sometimes brutal honesty.

Now I am not perfect, and I don't believe I have framed myself as such, but I do make supreme effort to avoid the projection of any negative feeling, mentality, ideal or fear onto anyone else because what will that do for me?

What will that do for the other person?

Sure, the latent OG Mean Girl in me - I call her Abigail Proctor - may find comfort with the fleeting joy that comes with feelings of superiority, but what happens when the lights go out and the time to rest head upon silk pillow comes?

When I attempt to enter the REM stage and find myself unable because lying in wait, in the farthest corner of the room, rests my fears and insecurities?

What happens then?

I already hate experiencing those bouts of self-doubt, transferring those same fears just feels wrong and mean with each passing year.

Ugh, what has happened to me?

Stepping on someone so you may present the allusion of standing on your own is not the mantle I would ever proudly claim.

If I feel a way about me, the only person who should be feeling that way is me.

You already come into this world alone and leave it alone, the best thing you can do is attempt to impact yourself and all who surround you in a positive way.

Especially since we've all got our demons and issues we're working through.

I've always considered myself to be an empathetic person, and that has only increased tenfold since November 8, 2016, which is, frankly, quite annoying.

I've become Mary freaking Sunshine because choosing happiness most everyday for most all people is actually really hard. Being a Deborah Downer or a Patty Projects-Her-Fears-And-Insecurities may just cause me to spiral, and I would never wish that feeling upon...I would say worst enemy, but if you're my worst enemy, duh, I want you to suffer.

I'll say I would never wish that on even the most peripheral of beings.

So stop projecting. Just work on you and fix yourself before you start breaking everyone else in your pursuit of happiness or whichever goal.

This is the aim for 2018 and forward.

As signed, sealed and delivered from the desk of The Unified League of Black Girls, Global, Inc.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Blog Archive