On: The Great Expectation

12:46 AM

 

Gifs via rebloggy

Have you ever taken a moment and noticed that subpar content released by black artists come very far and few in between? Truly, it is damn near rare to consume any art molded, created or shaped by black people that does not hit. Whether it be on the macro or micro scale, I've realized from observing my consumption habits and the way I critique and micromanage my own content through a black woman's lens that black people, and I mean at least 7 out of 10 black people - despite stereotype - are not at all lazy when it comes to quality output.

I remember reading Kelela's (go listen to her album, it's the album of 2017) interview with The Fader and reading a quote that has, hence, stuck with me.

"...the reason black people are so good is not always that we’re necessarily more artistically inclined, it’s more because we don’t have the space to suck.” —Kelela

I'm not sure if it is a cultural thing, or a response to white supremacy that has thus embedded itself within the genetic makeup of black people, but when we fully commit to doing something, we do it to the 9s and 10s. Slacking is never an option.

Of course, I mean this for the black people who are fully dedicated and motivated to growing their craft. The ones who are not leaning on some fleeting characteristic rather than actual talent. I have yet to see any who align themselves with lasting, tangible success not be consumed by the possibility of achieving their goals, or being afraid to withstand sacrifice for them.

I guess this is a spring-board thought off of one of my more recent musings about the rise in what I've coined: the Subpar and Superficial.

Obviously, tastes are subjective and consumption habits are individual to each being, but as I've grown, I've begun to realize that my margin of error for all artists rests around roughly 5 percent. There are some who will allow for a lot more, and even I on a really good day will do so too, but typically I am just not one of those people.

Even with this blog - whether people read it or not - each and every single thing I write goes through multiple revisions prior to and post publishing because it is a reflection of my efforts. There will never come a day where I am not thoroughly detailed and critiquing myself and my output because getting comfortable and slacking off is the quickest way to show that I do not care about my content.

You should care about your content.

Regardless of who or what is being lauded, rewarded, celebrated or propped up at any moment in time, whether or not you get all the attention or none at all - if the art is just not good, if the effort isn't there, please don't be surprised or offended if I say so.

Far too many cling to the allegation propagating, "well, ya'll will let white people get away with being mediocre, so why won't you let (insert minority here) get away with it, too?!"

Listen, I cannot change the fact that white supremacy exists and will more than likely exist well past me. Just like I cannot change the fact that I, being a black woman living in America today, am part of the meager 13.3 percent of the population and therefore am taught to work twice as hard to maybe get half as much. Truth is, there are some who get to cruise by on doing and being far less - it's not right nor fair, but it is what it is. What I can say is I do not adhere to that mentality, so despite there being a sudden need for equal footing on the playing field of mediocrity, you will not catch me giving credence to that game.

Sharing characteristics is not a pass for my ultimate endorsement, and as I have said before, if you are relying on that, it means you never believed in your capability to do great work to begin with.

Why squander an opportunity to releasing worthwhile content by being mediocre? Do you know what kind of precedent that sets? What that does to the expectations of others within that same field?

I love bringing her up so I shan't apologize, but Beyoncé was right when she said people don't want to put in the work anymore. They really don't!

Now sometimes, people do great work, they put in the hours, they sacrifice and they still lose. It happens, life is a game of luck.

But I'm sorry, as I've said before, whether it be on the macro or micro level, I will not excuse your shoddy work, watch your film, subscribe to your YouTube channel, dedicate time to listening to your podcast or buy your music if I do not feel as though you have given 110 percent effort into making good content.

Far too many cruise on doing the bare minimum and calling it worthy when it's just not the case. In 2018 I don't want to see it anymore.

Step your cookies up.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Blog Archive