On: Growing Up (Pt. 2)

11:22 PM

 
Gifs via ronweasley

If you did not know, I am an inordinately stubborn person. This means I typically enjoy doing things in my own way and am - more often than not - quite reluctant to ask for, or be the recipient of, help. It is not a reflection of the ones reaching out to me in my moments of distress that I write this post for, but to the others like me.

The ones who love to give advice but hate taking it.

The ones so headstrong, their tunnel vision refuses to allow them to see the multitudes of people waiting in the sidelines ready to offer assistance if need be.

It's okay to *gags* ask for *gags again* help.

Okay, I'm being dramatic, but this is a bitter pill I am slowly attempting to swallow.

I don't know what specific character deficit I've acquired that used to see asking for help as a sign of weakness, but the growing pains that have accompanied my attempts to evolve this behavior are fascinating to *adjusts glasses* unpack.

 
Gifs via realitytvshow

I think it's my pride.

(Get it? Cause Leos - which I am one - are typically stereotyped as being super prideful? No? Okay, cool.)

In this year of Continually Realizing Things™ , I've come to terms with the facts that there is no shame in admitting defeat or weakness. Acute self-awareness is what the Twumblr psychologists are always saying you need in order to be emotionally healthy and mentally balanced, right? So why not actually attempt to become that?

Of course I'm paraphrasing because who actually reads those think pieces on Tumblr or Twitter?! NOT ME!!!

*Nervously chuckles*

Seriously though, something along those lines, that emphasis on not seeing weakness as a deficit but as an acknowledgement that strength doesn't have to be an isolated weight to carry - has actually impacted the way in which I've viewed and navigated my kick, push, freefall launch into adulthood. 

I suppose such is the crux of growing up - doing things you don't want to, but should, for the betterment of your person and vice versa - maintaining your energy and allat.

Though I try to look at the glass half-full, it should still be said, that not everyone has your best intentions at heart, so vet, vet, vet!

And at the end of the day, though you may seek out the help of others, you are still the individual who has final say.  

The most important thing my twenties has taught me thus far (which, I keep talking about as if I'm on the cusp of 30 when I'm actually a young, nubile, basically practically teenaged, 23) is - I'm sure I've said it a million times, and I literally JUST said it two sentences ago - is that it is integral to maintain the homeostasis of your energy.

Do not give it away for free, do not lose it over small shit that is meaningless in the long run.

Do all you can to move forward while never ignoring what is behind you. 

So...yeah, nothing particularly special or even novel in concept, but such is expected when life in and of itself is cyclical.

In essence, adulting sucks so much it sometimes becomes necessary to lean on the help of others.

And that's okay.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Blog Archive