On: Growing Up

4:23 PM

 
 
Gifs via jillianleedy

Man oh man, they tried to warn me. They being adults and elder authority figures whose varied statements of, "I'm was born before you for a reason", largely and purposefully went ignored for a significant portion of my pre-teen to teenaged years. And now look at me, a whole adult. I mean, technically, by U.S. law I was officially considered an adult when I turned 18 five years ago, but I mean, was I really?

Obviously, I've matured in the intangible ways - I can no longer consume six plates of oily, greasy foods without feeling as though my stomach is waging a war against me. I do not enjoy the club (though to be fair, I never really did), my alcohol tolerance is quite low, I can smell sugar, I no longer engage or find humor in stupidity and beef on the internet, I am very conscious about the amount of money both in my pockets and bank account and, though I hate it, I try my best to make exercising a priority in my life.

But then there's the other side of me.

There's my humor, which mirrors that of a 16-year-old boy's, the fact that every gathering with my friends feels like the slumber party of a fifth grader with the most perverse sense of humor, my lack of a stable nighttime and daytime routine and the fact that I'm 5'2" and can still get on the Metro bus for free with my high school I.D.

I feel like I'm weirdly tip toeing the line separating adulthood and teenager-dom everyday, and though I am an adult by age, I've begun to understand why people say age ain't nothing but a number.

(Not R. Kelly though...he didn't mean it the way...everyone else does)

There comes a point in time where one realizes, with complete and utter horror, that you are turning into the very adult you vowed to never become.

I don't know what it is, but there is something so jarring about realizing you've become a full fledged adult.

With responsibilities to boot.

It feels alien, but it also feels quite natural, and I think I'm starting to find my groove with this adulthood sh*t.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Blog Archive