On: Insecure

7:11 PM



*Clears throat in preparation for freestyle rap*

Alright, let's get it poppin'
Cause I'm tired of these kids talkin'
Screaming Lawrence Hive, Issa Gang, you think that you found a winner?
One is right, one is wrong, nan them n*ggas worth a chicken dinner
She mad selfish, he wild bummy it's actually pretty crazy
Insecure on HBO got this love sh*t looking super shaky.

WHAT WHAT?!
HASHTAG TEAM JARED!

*delicately places microphone on the ground*

If you enjoyed my rap, and wish to book me for your next party and/or corporate event, I can be contacted at the e-

oh, no?

Wow, hater much?

I'm just kidding, though I do hope you enjoyed and took note of my homage to Issa Rae's love of freestyle rap which she has joyously carried from her award-winning, hit web series, The Misadventures Of An Awkward Black Girl, to her hit HBO show, Insecure.

It has now been a little over 17 hours since Insecure's second season premiere aired last night, and - you know me - I have got A LOT of thoughts.

There was...a mist of sorts, clouding my vision these past several hours. As I gathered my thoughts together in a coherent fashion, I realized that said mist was a manifestation of the more ashier  masculine side of Black Twitter.

Over there laid a total lack of awareness that, truthfully, shook me to my core.

They call themselves the #LawrenceHive (which...BeyHive, sweetie I'm so sorry that an ugly a** b*tch would co-opt something like that, we already have to deal with Future stans, now this?), a collective of people who cheer on the actions of Insecure character, Lawrence, as portrayed by superfine actor, Jay Ellis.

Lawrence is the ex-boyfriend of protagonist, Issa, who - after getting cheated on - is currently operating on a level they call : Savage Mode.

In laymen's terms,  savage mode means Lawrence is a hobosexual who left his ex-girl and old domicile for a pretty bank teller whose sexual advances he initally declined, but is now entertaining and abusing for food, room and board.

Mhmm...the good life.

Image result for blank stare gif

(I mean, the utter GALL)

I would like to state that I've never been a fan of either Issa or Lawrence as characters.

As a twosome they were insufferable, and as individual characters they have managed to also be magnificently sucky people.

Issa the character is wildly self-centered and thrives on dysfunction. Her passive aggressive nature and self-sabotaging ways tend to leak into her friendships, worklife and romantic life.

Were she a real person, I'd want her far away from me.

Sidebar: It's almost amusing that Yvonne Orji (Molly) has been physically compared to Girlfriends star, Jill-Marie Jones, because I would venture to say that Issa is the Joan Clayton to Molly's Toni Childs.  

Lawrence, on the other hand, is unmotivated and oft complacent in all situations. His life's purpose was placed on the back burner while he lived with his feet kicked up on Issa's couch. Rather than following through with his career or passions, he chose to abandon them, leaving Issa to pick up the pieces of his collateral damage. Oh yeah, and all while she was doing that, Lawrence could be found drinking up all her milk, neglecting her as his romantic partner and overall, just being listless for years prior to being cheated on.

Currently, he is half living on a blow up mattress in his friend Chad's living room, and half living in his new girl? sex buddy? situationship? lady friend, Dominique's bedsheets (if you know what I mean *wink wink, nudge nudge*).

Ironically enough, the entire plot of the show hinges on the fact that, much to the chagrin and despite the prodding of both the men and women in their lives, neither Issa nor Lawrence can seem to get it together and be, you know, fully functioning adults.

Whether they be together or apart.

So I suppose my character summaries - though harsh - are fairly apt.

In the Real World, there is a deep divide with regards to whose side to be on. Because of my own dispassionate feelings towards these characters, I am not plagued by these afflictions, though the level of vitriol towards Issa and coddling of Lawrence does bemuse me.

Ride Or Die culture dictates that it is Issa who is in the wrong for cheating on Lawrence, because what is a woman who doesn't ride for and stand by her man through all his ups, downs and in-betweens?

Ain't sh*t.

But what is a man who doesn't wait around for his woman to get on her feet?

Is it even ever expected of men to wait around for women to get her life together?

While she sits on his couch, feet kicked up, bonnet and nipples lost in the wind, drinking up all his milk as their sex life becomes practically nonexistant?

Image result for DON'T WORRY I'LL WAIT GIF

Yeah, thought so.

Look, I don't care for either one of them, but let's call a spade a spade.

Cheating is never okay, but neither is neglecting and sucking your partner dry.

Not excusing the cheating, though straying being a casualty of an unhappy relationship is more understood and excused when men do it rather than women.

Think about it, how often have we heard:

He's a man, it's in his nature, what could you expect?

There's a reason why we all heard and applauded the vulnerability and honesty of "4:44", even though Jay Z was all of 4-

*Get's angry all over again*

Let's...not go there.

Truthfully, most all of the main characters on this show suck in their own unique way, and half the time I'm not sure if I should be rooting for or against them.

That's why I'm #TeamJared. He was the best character by far, and Molly let biphobia scare her out of a damn good thing.

Image result for jared insecure gif

I'm far too invested in fictional characters.

Now, I cannot align perfection with Jared as we really didn't get to know him, know him, but still!

So I guess we'll see where this goes, and I'll keep watch if my feelings towards either character changes and this post requires amending.

Either way, I'll keep watching because it truly is a genuinely funny and engaging show.

Until then, it is forever #TeamJared.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Blog Archive